Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

How does it look from where you sit?

I've discovered UpWorthy - a vlog (video blog) of positive stuff that I really appreciate. Here's a quick re-post while I'm in between homes:


'One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others' Shouldn't Have Come To Mind When I Viewed A Class Photo

I'm positive that the photographer who took the original photo wasn't an unkind person who intentionally separated a child in his class photo. But the original picture made one little boy who so clearly wanted to be a part of his class look (and maybe feel) like he was alone. And, just as bad, it sent a message to his peers that it's OK to exclude children with disabilities.

My original thought was that if all the kids just moved closer, the problem would be solved. But a friend who has a child with a disability helped me to understand that wouldn't have been a solution, either, because he'd still be separated.

Although it took a little pressure, the photography company retook the class picture, and the new one is perfect. Let's learn from this mistake. Small adjustments in our daily actions can make everyone feel included, important, and valued.

Laura Willard

Original photo:


Photo retake, with the student seated with his peers (next to his aide):


Isn't that amazing? Inclusion is a value to instill in our children. It's an act of loving kindness that reflects the loving kindness of our Great Creator and enriches life for everyone. My thanks to Laura Willard for this amazing education in two pictures!

No comments: